Monday, August 9, 2010

Dear Sandman

Incoming Freshman: It's not too late to sign up for the 14th annual Day of Service!  (you may also fill out page 57 of the Big Book of Forms)

--------------

One of my current projects this week has been updating, organizing, and refining a poverty simulation.  The goal is to have it ready so that LEADS participants can play it at the end of the month.  The simulation gives each player a family financial scenario, and the goal is for the player to create a budget to find out how much money they have for food, and then travel around to stores, food pantries, and social services to obtain 2000 calories of the most nutritious food they can find.

The first thing I noticed about the simulation when Claudine and I started organizing it from the last time it was played was that it has a lot of little, tiny paper parts.

The simulation barely fit on the conference room table.

I am rewriting all the instructions and descriptions to make the simulation specific to Oberlin.  I've revamped the transportation system, and I'm excited about the new cars I've added to the game.  Here is the description I enjoy the most:

It's got a Grim Reaper graphic!

Though I still want to tweak the car rules a little bit, I think I might be done with all my re-writing and am ready to move on to crafting the discussion that will follow the simulation.  I'm hoping that since I read all the background information yesterday and today, when I wake up tomorrow all the information will have coalesced while I slept and I will have a brilliant idea for what stats to include on my Lorain County/Ohio poverty and hunger information sheet.  This will probably translate into reality as waking from a cold sweat at 3 AM from a dream where I walked into the room with all the LEADS participants waiting expectantly only to realize:
  • I've forgotten all the materials at the office
  • I've forgotten I was supposed to give it that day
  • I'm naked
  • I forgot to put the little Grim Reapers on the old car transportation card and put a Miss Piggy image instead

But I can always hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment